While taking my first hot yoga class I’d like to say that I was calm, enlightened, and inspired by this new aspect of my yoga journey that I was about to embark on… but my friend Maria will most likely read this and call me out in 30 seconds about my actual actions that day. Here are some of the 100 texts I sent her before going to class.
Long text thread short: I was a nut (even though I’d heard nothing but positive things from anyone and everyone who has ever tried). After taking my first class, I am officially in love. It was not easy, but it was one of the best workouts I’ve ever done. I’m so happy that I didn’t let my (mildly psychotic) fears get the best of me. Here are some of the best things I took out of my first class.
- The heat does not hit you in the face walking in the door like when you open the oven like I thought it would. I have issues breathing in saunas and was afraid this would be the same type of situation, but I barely noticed the heat when walking in.
- The importance of water cannot be stressed enough. Bring a big bottle with you and continue to drink throughout the class (not just when you start to really feel the heat).
- Listen to your body! Child’s pose and modifications, much like coconut oil, can solve all problems.
- Unless looking like the joker is a passion of yours, DO NOT wear makeup to this class. If you’re going straight from work pack some makeup wipes in your gym bag!
- Since I’ve established you’ll be sweating a lot, the greatest thing I learned is to not care about your appearance. Everyone is sweating, and being self-conscious about it is only going to get in the way of your practice.
Yoga has taught me to embrace things both in and outside my comfort zone. It’s okay if you fall on your face doing crow 9 out of 10 times; celebrate the tenth. I might not be as spiritually connected as some (chanting om still makes me uncomfortable), but I’m enjoying the path I’m on and I’m excited to add hot yoga into my practice.
What advice would you give to someone who was thinking about checking out their first hot yoga class? Comment below!