Recipe: Sesame Ginger Chicken Lo Mein with Broccoli and Cashews
This summer, we’ve partnered with Cook Smarts to inspire you in the kitchen as part of our ‘Stronger, Healthier You Series’. This week, we’ve got a mouth watering one-bowl Chicken Lo Mein that’s packed full of vegetables, noodles and chicken coated in a rich, savory sauce. Give this meal a try and let us know how you like it!
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium – 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice – 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame – 2 Tbsp
- Honey – 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) – 1/4 tsp
- Broccoli – 10 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red – 1, diced
- Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped
- Noodles, lo mein – 10 oz (sub Udon or soba noodles)
- Green onions – 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless – 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking – 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted – 1/3 cup
- Lime juice – 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) – 2 tsp
- Make sauce – Grate ginger. Combine ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic – Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook noodles – Cook noodles according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions – Chop green onions, storing white and green parts separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken – Slice chicken into cubes. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then broccoli. Saute until broccoli is cooked through (add a splash of water and cover with a lid if you’d like the broccoli more tender), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and white parts of green onions and saute for 1 minute. Pour sauce over top and bring to a simmer.
- Stir chicken, noodles, and cashews into stir-fry. Toss everything together.
- Squeeze lime juice over lo mein and top with sesame seeds and green parts of green onions. Enjoy!
Cook Smarts creates weekly meal plans, cooking guides and infographics, and online cooking lessons, all designed to help anyone build a strong cooking foundation. When you purchase PB Resolution, a three-month subscription to Cook Smarts comes with your program purchase, helping you to build strength and flexibility, but also dial in your nutrition for optimal health.
PB Resolution is a fitness program that combines yoga and strength training into a seamless, easy-to-follow 12-week schedule. PB Resolution is designed to provide you with the tools you need to keep your body safe, challenge you no matter where you’re at, increase strength regardless of your fitness preference, all while encouraging you to discover yourself like never before. For more information, or to join the PB Resolution community, visit pbypr.com.