So here’s the deal: I don’t get super excited about just anything, but when I heard Cassey Ho (of POP Pilates, Pop Flex Active and Blogilates) agreed to do an interview with Bad Yogi, I got a little “Screaming Lunatic Oprah Audience Member at Her Favorite Things Episode Taping.” I mean, there weren’t actual tears, but The Frenchman had to quickly subdue me for the sake of our neighbor’s peace and quiet. Not only is Cassey probably one of the most genuine people on the Internet, but she’s a BOMB business woman whose savvy rivals any Harvard grad I’ve ever heard of. I have major respect for everything she does FOR people AND for what she’s built with nothing but a boat-load of ambition and an even bigger dose of passion, and I’m dying to introduce you to her! Her crazy-inspiring interview is below the video, and if you have a minute to watch it, you won’t regret it. It’s perfect.
1. Briefly tell us who you are and “what you do.”
I’m an entrepreneur, certified fitness instructor, designer, and YouTuber! In more detail…I created the format POP Pilates which is the official Pilates format of all 24 Hour Fitness gyms as well as the CEO of oGorgeous Inc., which is the parent company of the Blogilates and POPFLEX Active Brands.
2. What’s the best and worst thing about your work?
I honestly love every part of my job. The lows make the highs so much sweeter – so you need both to appreciate life.
3. As someone who has a lot of influence and visibility, do you ever have moments where you feel like you should “hold back” or keep up appearances for your community?
Of course there are times when I want to defend myself when people start attacking. But I also know that what bullies want is your attention. So I the strongest thing I can do is do the exact opposite and not give them any of my energy to thrive off of.
4. When insecurity or jealousy creeps in, how do you snap yourself out of it? Do you have a ritual that brings you back to the reality of your own badass-ery? 😉
As a fitness instructor, it’s automatically assumed that I should look a certain way. If I ever find myself comparing my body to others, I stop and think about what’s truly important. And that’s my ability to inspire people to thrive and reach their full potential – and that that has nothing to do with my body. I have a clear vision of who I am and what success means to me, and I remind myself of that every day.
5. You recently launched your brand new and totally beautiful activewear line, POPFLEX ACTIVE (can’t wait to get my sample!)! What’s the biggest lesson you learned during that whole process, if you had to narrow it down to one thing?
My goal was to create a high quality, designer activewear collection at an incredible price point. A lot of industry veterans told me it was impossible, but impossible to me is just a word. It just means no one was was able to do it yet. So what did I learn? Do your research, fight the old way of thinking, and you can make it happen.
6. I know it was a grueling process to get POPFLEX ACTIVE ready for the world to see. Did you ever doubt your decision to pursue it when things got really challenging/stressful?
Yes, I did. I had a multi million dollar brand approach me wanting to do a clothing line collaboration while I was having a lot of trouble during the sample making process. It was SO TEMPTING to just go along with a company that had so much experience and brand recognition in the market. Their level of experience in activewear made me feel like I was eons away from making POPFLEX happen. But, I’m glad I never signed the deal because now I know, you CANNOT GIVE UP. Because that is the moment the magic happens.
7. If you could only give one piece of advice for anyone who has big dreams, what would you tell them?
Don’t let anyone talk you out of your dreams. People will tell you it’s impossible, but they’re wrong.
8. In your career and life, what’s been your greatest asset? And, if you care to share, your greatest hindrance? How did you overcome it?
My greatest asset is my confidence. You need to be strong and assertive to make things happen – and that’s what I do. As for my greatest hindrance, I used to be too trusting of others, but I learned that it’s okay to turn people down and say no if they don’t align with my beliefs.
9. Which is true about you: usually you follow your heart, or usually you follow your logic?
I always follow my heart and my passion no matter how irrational that may seem to others.
10. Did you ever have a moment in your early career where you woke up and wondered, “oh my gosh, how am I going to make this work?! maybe I should go back to a desk job!”
The biggest (and best) decision I ever made, and risk I ever took was quitting my desk job. It was scary. I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I knew in my heart that I had to trust myself.
11. I know a lot of people think, “well, I can’t do this or that” or “this person is naturally gifted, I’m just not…” What do YOU think is more important: hustle or talent?
People who say those things are lazy. You need to work hard to master anything. Talent can only get you so far. There are always opportunities to become better, smarter and stronger.
12. Alright, just for fun: All food is “health food” and there’s no such thing as allergies and intolerances. What do you eat every day of your life?
HMMMMMM, that’s a toughie! Maybe Pho (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup) or SUSHI ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!!!
Over to you! One of my favorite things about this was her interpretation of the word “impossible.” It’s true, that “impossible” just means that it hasn’t been done yet, but by NO means does it mean that YOU cannot do it if you put your mind to it. Gotta keep this in mind! What about you guys? Any takeaways?
PS: Cassey is giving away a piece from her new clothing line to one lucky person! Just comment below what your favorite item from the new line is to enter and we’ll pick the winner!