I’m obsessed with pizza. I could eat pizza every day of my life for the rest of my time on earth if you gave me the choice and I could be guaranteed it would NEVER cause any sort of little health issue. From what I understand, this is impossible, and until we humans evolve into beings who can thrive on a diet of pizza, chocolate, wine, and ice cream and live to be a healthy 105, I guess I’ll have to table these dreams and improvise…
Luckily, I’ve found a healthy substitute that fulfills most of my pizza dreams but comes with NONE of the guilt. Plus, it’s Perfect Body Yoga Program APPROVED!
Here’s what you need…
– 2 GF pita bread circles
– 2 lbs tomatoes, sliced & roasted (or, jarred tomato sauce)
– 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 2 cups arugula
– 3 tsp olive oil
– garlic powder
– chili powder (optional)
– red pepper flakes
– salt & pepper
1) Heat oven to 425* F or 250* C.
2) Wash, slice, and roast tomatoes for about 10-15 mins or until slightly browned, turning halfway through.*
3) Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add chickpeas. Add a hefty shake of chili powder, a dash of garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir occasionally until roasted (about 8-10 mins).
4) Remove tomatoes from oven, put in saucepan and lightly mash. Add salt & pepper and red pepper flakes to taste and cook down just a bit until it’s more sauce-like.
5) In the meantime, put pitas in oven for 6-7 minutes or until slightly crispy and golden brown.
6) Remove pitas from oven. Spread tomato sauce over each pita evenly. Add chickpeas on top of sauce. Put back in the oven for 12 minutes.
7) Remove and top with 1 cup of arugula, drizzle with olive oil and add salt & pepper to taste. Eat immediately!
*If you’re using jarred tomato sauce instead, just skip this step and heat the tomato sauce in a saucepan and set aside.
Over to you! You have to trust me with these! They sound incredibly bland but actually have amazing flavor once they’re all roasted up. Do you have a food that you could eat every day of your life?!