Recipe: Creamsicle Smoothies (vegan!)
Is it creamsicle or dreamsicle? Does it even matter when vanilla and orange are the best flavor combination since chocolate and peanut butter?
Truth time: the first version of this smoothie was just blended up orange juice and vanilla coconut milk ice cream. I had a craving that I needed to satisfy, and that definitely did the trick. I love these flavors together, so I decided to whip up a more everyday version that is still delicious and creamy. It’s still pretty rich, so I guess it’s not technically something I would eat everyday, but it’s nutritional value is a little better than ice cream.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 frozen banana
- canned coconut milk (just scoop the creamy part out of the top and use the leftover coconut water for something else!)
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T vanilla protein powder (optional, if you’re into that kind of thing)
Toss it all in your blender, blend it up, and enjoy! Here are a few things to note:
- I’m not usually super specific about amounts when I throw a smoothie together, so you might find you need to add a little more or less orange juice to get the consistency you like. I always start with less then add more if I need to, but you do you!
- I’ve found that some brands of coconut milk separate really nicely, and others don’t. My favorite is Thai Kitchen, but your mileage may vary. I use the leftover coconut water for future smoothies that don’t already have liquid ingredients.
- Protein powder can be…controversial? A lot of it is gross, for sure. The best one I’ve found is VegaOne in French Vanilla.
- Freezing already-peeled bananas makes them way easier to work with, but be sure to only do that if you’re going to use them soon, because they will brown.
Give the recipe a try and let me know how you like it!