30 Things I Learned At 30
I can’t believe how fast this year flew by! I feel like I just spent my 30th birthday in Paris, but it’s hard to believe that was already a whole YEAR ago! Turning 30 made me freak out a little, and turning 31 feels downright IMPOSSIBLE. I mean, 31 isn’t just starting a new decade, it’s not fully into my 30s. Forget the speed os light– the speed of LIFE should be the measurement we use when describing incredibly fast things.
Anyway, as expected, my 30th year was FULL of lessons, big and small. Since tomorrow is my 31st birthday, I thought it would be fun to recap everything I learned over the last year, in no particular order 🙂 …
30 Things I Learned At 30
1. Take advantage of my body while I have it in this current form. Getting stronger & sticking to my yoga practice are always in my top 5 priorities.
2. Don’t put a negative label on aging. We’re blessed to see every age and stage in life. Don’t resist every new chapter just because of fear of the unknown.
3. There’s no time to play it safe.
4. Other people’s actions/reactions are none of your business & not yours to judge.
5. Things will only change when you make room for something new to happen.
6. Trying to control what’s outside of your control is always completely useless.
7. Set boundaries sooner rather than later.
8. Small changes will stick a LOT easier than big, life changing ones.
9. Cardio SUCKS, but if you stick with it, the improvement in your endurance makes it all worth it!
10. Bergamots are types of lemons! (How I went 30 years without knowing this is mind boggling.)
11. Ryan Air is definitely the most unpleasant airline in the industry.
12. Avoiding necessary confrontation doesn’t get you out of anything, it just delays the inevitable.
13. Comparison is not only the thief of joy, but the thief of motivation, confidence, and almost every other positive emotion you can think of.
14. Risotto is the perfect dinner party food because it seems fancy, always tastes delicious, and is one of the easiest things to make.
15. Forget prioritizing trends in fashion & stick with what flatters your body the most.
16. Sparkling water works WONDERS for car sickness on twisting, turning mountain roads.
17. One of the most worthwhile purchases I made this year were the 6 pairs of Align II leggings from Lululemon. There is NOTHING more comfortable, I’m telling you!
18. My French has improved!
19. There’s no use in living in the past or regretting you’re not “where you wanted to be at this point.” Instead, focus on the present moment and use where you currently are as a launching pad to keep moving forward. (Thanks, Adrien! ;))
20. There’s no better recipe for chocolate cake than this one.
21. Not everyone has to like you. Sounds so simple, but when it really sinks in, it’s the most freeing thing in the world.
22. Just because something WAS one way doesn’t mean it always will be that way.
23. Making friends as an adult takes about as much effort as building a romantic relationship. They take consistent, genuine effort to make true, lasting friendships.
24. Procrastination is just a fancy word for making excuses.
25. Progress doesn’t happen without some (or a lot of) failures along the way.
26. If you don’t like the mentality you have about certain things, you CAN CHANGE IT.
27. Don’t take advice about stuff you want to do from people who haven’t done it.
28. If you’re judging others hard, you’re probably judging yourself even harder.
29. I’m allergic to people who lack self awareness.
30. Being generous in your assumptions about others can all but eliminate feelings of resentment.
These are just a few takeaways I’m bringing with me into 31. What’s been your biggest lesson to date?